Essentials
- Passport - please check the expiration date before you go to the airport. Please.
- Tourist Visa - required for Americans traveling in India
- Copy of Passport and Visa (keep in separate location; if you lose your passport, this will speed up the process of getting a new one)
- Extra passport-size photos
- Airline tickets
- Travel vouchers
- Itinerary
- Cell Phone & Charger - Check with your wireless provider before you leave and make sure you have a "global" phone. If not, they'll probably send you a loaner for free. Make sure to find out the international calling rates in advance. My cell bill last trip was over $1000 because I was confused about international roaming...
- Camelbak All Clear Water Purifier Bottle - highly recommended. Simply the best. I credit this with the reason I did not get sick on my last trip. The UV sticks are too difficult to use with accuracy. Camelbak makes it easy. Yep, it's 90 bucks. The best $90 you'll spend for this trip.
- Prescriptions (emergency antibiotics for respiratory infection, skin infection)
- Malaria Meds
- Vaccination List
- Medical Kit - SMALL medical kit. I made a huge mistake on my last trip, stocking up on vast quantities of every OTC medication I could possibly need, loads of bandages and wound care meds, alcohol swabs, etc. Hardly used any of it. Waste of money and space in my luggage. Bring a small amount of common OTC meds - acetaminophen, Imodium, Mucinex, etc. Chances are, you won't need them, and if you do, you'll only need them long enough to get to a larger city with a pharmacy (or hospital, depending on your ailment...) A few bandages, some anti-itch cream for bug bites, a little Neosporin. Stick to the basics, unless you have special medical needs or are going somewhere remote for a long period of time. Oh, and I'm absolutely not a doctor, and others have differing views on this, so do your research and make informed decisions when it comes to your medical care. Definitely consult with your doctor if you have any questions about medical issues and check the CDC Traveler's Health website for recommendations and the most current information.
Flight Comfort
- Back Pillow - If you think you might need it, get it. You will be in airplanes and airports for some thirty hours, just to get there.
- Sleeping Mask, Earplugs, Headphones, Neck Pillow, Lumbar Cushion
- Jet Lag Pills - This is a first for me. I'll let you know if it works.
- Nicotine Gum (not necessary for everyone...)
Getting Around
- Map - Duh.
- Guidebook - If you know where you are going, tear out those pages so you don't have to carry the whole book (or buy the Kindle version). I recommend Lonely Planet for pretty much everywhere.
- Language Phrasebook? - Yeah, not gonna help you much in India. Try to learn how to say a few things in Hindi, but that will not come in handy very many places. You'll either use English or hand motions. The cool thing is that Indians are overall very good communicators because of all the different languages. Be expressive with face and hand motions and speak clearly and slowly. Indian English is very different than American English, but you'll pick up on what you need.
Laundry
- Laundry Bag - I usually use plastic grocery bags, but I'd love to have one of these guys.
- Laundry Kit - Woolite Laundry Soap Packets, travel clothesline
- Small Flashlight
- Alarm Clock (better than running your phone all night)
- Back-Up Cell Phone Battery/Charger - Never used one before, but I read reviews and decided to give it a go. I'm bringing this one by Jackery, but there are plenty on the market. The main reason I'm bringing this is because my iPhone 5 battery has been acting strange for awhile. I don't intend to use my phone often, but in case of emergency, I want to make sure it has plenty of juice!
- Socket Adapter - India has different wall sockets than we have in the USA, folks. You need a socket adapter (they cost around $5), but you probably do not need a voltage adapter. You will be happier if your socket adapter has more than one outlet.
- Camera & Charger - Seriously, if you are traveling halfway around the world, invest the $200 in a nice (at least 8 megapixels) point-and-shoot camera. The pictures are better than the photos your phone takes, and you avoid using up the memory on your phone. Just don't spend more than $200 unless you are a professional photographer because 1) an expensive camera looks expensive and will probably get stolen, and 2) unless you know how to use all the features, your photos won't look any better than if you'd taken them on a point-and-shoot.
- SD Card (at least 4GB)
- SD Card Converter for iPad - I got one of these before my last trip and it worked great! I wanted to be able to blog and send home pictures, but I didn't want to lug around a laptop. I was able to upload my photos directly to the iPad and re-use the SD card.
- iPad & Charger
Luggage/Packing
- Suitcase/Pack - I could write a book on what to use, but you really need to decide for yourself. If you go with a backpack, you better have a strong back. After spending two months backpacking in Europe when I was 18, my pack weighed over 80 pounds. Last trip to India, I took a waterproof North Face Duffel, which had some advantages (waterproof, opened like a suitcase, endured being drug on the ashphalt), but was really hard to lug around. (The cute guy at the Highland Hiker in Highlands, NC talked me in to the North Face bag, but I forgive him because he also recommended the beautiful Camelbak Water Purifier that kept me from getting sick - more on that later - and equipped me and Dad for our Grand Canyon hike. The bag was the only not-so-great recommendation he's made, and maybe I was flirting too much to listen to whether he really strongly recommended it anyway...) This time, I'm going with the good old rolling suitcase and a day pack. Still deciding whether I'm going to try to take the carry-on size or full-size though...
- Luggage Locks - If you use them, make sure they are TSA approved or your suitcase will get ripped open.
- Day Pack - A little larger than a book bag, a little simpler than a weekender pack, and a lot smaller than a trekking pack. I usually carry my old Arc'teryx weekender pack simply because I'm used to it, but they make a nice looking daypack for just over $100. You'll find that companies that make good bags tend to make good bags consistently. I've tried out many Arc'teryx packs, and they're all great. Same with Timbuk2, and you absolutely can't beat their lifetime warranty.
- Packing Cubes - This is the first time I'm using packing cubes to help organize my luggage. When you are moving around a lot, it is a hassle to have to unpack everything to find what you need. The idea with these cubes is that you can organize your clothes to avoid that, and the bags will keep your clothes from getting wrinkled. Top affordable brands are Eagle Creek and eBags. Quantity and sizes depend on your packing needs; I went for this 3-piece set of medium-sized bags (the Canary color was a few dollars cheaper) because I already have smaller sized bags and plastic Ziplock bags for smaller items.
- Compression Bags - I'm bringing one large compression sack this time because I bought two large quilts on my last trip and carrying them around was hell. When in India, you will buy textiles - they are so beautiful, from hand block prints to embroidered quilts - so prepare to have to pack them. Don't count on being able to ship anything home. You might get lucky and find a post office, but I never saw one when I was there. Not once.
- Packable Duffel Bag - Always nice to have an extra bag. These REI bags are great because they roll up into themselves, and they're the cheapest good quality packable bags I've found.
- Toiletry Bag - Go with one that can hang, for bathrooms without counter space. I love my Timbuk2 Grande Burrito Toiletry Bag (and its lifetime warranty!). This one from Eagle Creek has had good reviews, and it's a little cheaper.
- Toiletries - I'm considering spending $20 (which seems like a complete rip off) on this set of 3 Humangear GoToob 3 oz. bottles because I'm so sick of every other brand of travel bottle busting. As for what toiletry items you need to bring, assume that you need at least 3 ounces of the essentials - toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoo, conditioner, soap. Yes, they sell all of these things in India, but you'll be glad you have some on hand.
Health & Safety
- Travel Wallet - I never travel without my handy travel wallet. Inside, I keep my passport, travel vouchers, important contact list, extra cash, credit cards, and any other important document I need to keep track of. I don't carry the travel wallet when I'm out and about, so long as the hotel has a secure safe for me to store it in. When I'm on the go, such as at the airport, I keep it close beside me. Mine is the Lug Tango Travel Wallet in sunset orange, which helps me find it quickly. I have never lost my passport. As for recommendations, there are plenty of cheap ones out there, but you might consider investing $30-40 on a nice one if you travel regularly. I'm really happy with my $30 Lug wallet, and it has taken a beating over the years. Timbuk2 also makes a nice travel wallet.
- Money Belt - When I was younger, staying at shifty youth hostels and falling asleep on trains in Europe, I never went anywhere without my money belt. In fact, I often slept with my passport and Traveler's Checks snug against my abdomen. The days of youth hostels are over for me (hopefully), so the money belt is not so important. I still bring one, just in case, because they are so lightweight, but hardly ever use it. If you do get one, don't bother with those that hang around your neck - easy pick pocket targets because they can just clip the strap - get the uncomfortable, ugly waist belt that you can tuck inside your shirt.
- Mosquito Repellent with DEET - CDC recommends repellents with at least 20% DEET. No, this does not mean you don't need to take malaria meds. You definitely do.
- Insect Repellent Clothing Treatment - I hate mosquitoes, and they love me.
Clothing/Shoes
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Quick-Dry Undergarments - Wash and hang dry overnight. I recommend Under Armour.
- Rain gear - umbrella, hat, jacket
Just Because I Said So
- A Real Book - I know, you already have 25 on your tablet, so why invest the whole $4 in a paperback? Well folks, there are places in this world that you might not want to show off your shiny, new, yet-to-be-released-in-India iPad Air 7 or whatever. Also, paperbacks don't run out of power. So there you go.
- Travel notebook/journal - This will come in handy even if you don't like to journal because you can keep all your notes in one place.
- A Sense of Adventure - Be smart, not fearless, but don't let the daily challenges of traveling in a developing nation get to you. Remember, you are on an adventure. Obstacles are just part of the journey.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Only friendly comments allowed. If you can't say something nice, your problems are bigger than mine.