Kerala backwaters at sunset. Wow, right?
I am sitting on a private houseboat anchored in a tiny village in the Kerala backwaters, drinking a glass of French red wine. I am alone, except for the crew of three local men. This is one of the happiest moments of my life.
When we docked the boat for the night, I walked the footpath through the village. The population could not be more than 100. I passed a small temple, a catholic church and another small temple. The children came running out of the temple to say hello to me in English. They all asked me if I had a pen, but I had already given my only pen to a little girl I ran into on the path. I don't know why all these children want pens? One of the little girls, a kind nine year old, offered me some of her chai. I took a sip and handed it back to her. She told me that I could have more, but I let her drink the rest. Sweetness.Village kiddos. These guys were full of energy! Climbing up trees and showing me their dance moves.
There was a tiny little shop that an old man was running out of his house. Fortunately, he had balloons and lollipops in stock. I bought all he had, about 15 of each, for about 30 rupees (less than 25 cents) and distributed them to the very, very happy children. They were so excited! "Very thank you mam!"For a single quarter, I was able to make fifteen children smile and laugh. I can safely say that was the best quarter I have ever spent. God I love children.
I read a quote that I'll summarize as follows: When one goes to the grave, all that he is clutching in his hands is that which he has given away.
I have thought of that quote probably 100 times since I have been in India. I think of everything I have - I am so very blessed - and how little I really need, even to be comfortable. My New Year's Resolution is to give more, not just money, but things. Sell things that I don't want or need and give the money to people who do. I have always wanted to start a trust to help children who have been abused pay for school. I think it is time to take action on that dream. I don't have much money because of all my school debt, but I can at least get started.
A small Hindu temple in the village.
Footbridge to the village. No cars here!
Dinner is ready. The food on the boat is fresh and delicious. More blogging later...
![]() ![]() |
| Le vin francais |
| Here is a picture of me on the boat at sunset.... I'll post many more pics from the boat trip after we dock in the morning. |
| Le vin francais |
Goodnight from Kerala!
(Yes, it's a Radiohead t-shirt, but I'm wearing an Indian skirt with it!)







No comments:
Post a Comment
Only friendly comments allowed. If you can't say something nice, your problems are bigger than mine.