Monday, January 7, 2013

Le Fin

I have reached the end of my journey. Thirty-six days, three continents, four countries, several books, hundreds of photos, many languages, lots of coffee, old friends, new friends, family, and even an elephant! And now, I'm preparing to come home. I'm ready.

I'm back in Paris, after a great (albeit too short) trip to see Joe, Olga and Joey in Prague. I brought back a nasty cold, which apparently my parents brought from the US to Prague, but I can't complain since I was not sick a single day in India! It has been wonderful staying with Carole and Manuel in the 12th Arrondissement in Paris. Last night, Carole took me out with her friends Elodie and Veronique to a really cool club (I'll post pics when I can upload them from my phone) called Bellevilloise in the 20th. It was the kind of place you would only know about if you lived here - hidden and very French! So cool!

This morning, I decided to wear my pajama pants to get a pain au chocolat... I didn't really think about it since I wasn't really likely to run in to anyone I knew. As I was walking, an old man yelled at me from across the street (in French), asking, "ARE YOU LOOKING FOR YOUR HUSBAND?!" I shook my head and kept walking. He kept talking, something about seeing my husband driving around looking for me. He was just a crazy old man, but I thought, how bizarre. How bizarre. But no, I'm not looking for him. Not anymore.

On the way back from the patisserie, I went in to a fruit shop to get a jus d'orange. The boy who worked in the shop asked me if I was rom. I did not know this word, but just responded, "Non, je suis americaine." He seemed surprised. When I returned to Carole's flat, I asked the meaning of the word rom. Gypsy. He thought I was a gypsy! This is the last time I wear pajama pants on the streets of Paris.

Today, Carole, Manuel and I went to brunch with several of their friends at another really cool, hidden spot. Again, photos will be best to describe the place. Afterwards, Carole and two of her friends and I walked along the canal in the 19th Arrondissement for a couple hours. I took a sudafed beforehand, so I was feeling a little better and really enjoyed the walk through another part of Paris that I had never explored before. My French is so out of practice that I can't understand a lot when Carole and her friends are talking, but I still like listening to them!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only friendly comments allowed. If you can't say something nice, your problems are bigger than mine.